Perhaps now more than ever, our community needs spaces where people can gather face-to-face, engage in thoughtful dialogue, share messages of hope and connection, and see great art. Thanks to your support, Theatre NOVA provides such a space, by providing high quality theatre in Ann Arbor.
What’s more, we have been able to keep this space, and these experiences, accessible to ALL members of our community through our unique "pay-what-you-can” ticketing program.
This year, over 3,000 patrons attended our second season of heartfelt, award-winning plays. Highlights include:
• Seven full productions. Fresh and innovative shows like Mr. Joy, Katherine, Irrational, and Spin have become our stock-in-trade, not to mention our beloved holiday Panto.
• Increasing attendance by 50% over the previous year.
• Winning two 2016 Wilde Awards (Best New Play for Irrational and Best One-Person Show for Chesapeake) - the statewide award for theater excellence – more than any other theater in Washtenaw County.
• The second successful year of The Michigan Playwrights’ Festival. This important incubator has already supported the work of 30 Michigan playwrights, with five plays going on to full professional productions.
• Making upgrades to our facility. In the past year we have installed new fire doors, a new furnace and HVAC system, a new light board, new lights and cabling, and a new wheelchair ramp and porch railing.
• Beginning work on our ADA bathroom! After a series of revisions and delays, architect's drawings are being submitted. Construction will take place in 2017.
Recently a patron said to us "It's amazing what you are able to produce for just $100,000 a year." We agree, although we hope to grow into a full-fledged professional company, with a paid staff, in a permanent home downtown. But this dream won't happen overnight. It will take patience and the commitment of numerous donors and members over many years.
As a nonprofit, ticket sales cover just a portion of our budget. Donations from individuals keep the stage lights burning, providing a space for artists and audiences. We take your investment seriously, balancing tight budgets and finding ways to maximize your contributions.
But there’s so much more work to do. We’ve got big plans and exciting developments coming in 2017, like:
• Expanded leadership. We are proud to announce that Diane Hill (formerly of Two Muses Theatre) and David Wolber (formerly of Performance Network) have joined our team as Producing Artistic Directors.
• Continuing to improve our facility. In 2017 we will paint the theater black, add sound insulation between the theater and lobby, add much-needed signage, and complete our ADA bathroom.
• Season Subscriptions! Beginning in the spring of 2017, season subscriptions will be available.
• The "Super-Season." We will transition from a calendar year season to a traditional theater season, and will be announcing nine hot new plays in January. Stay tuned for details and special subscription offers.
If we can do this much with $100,000, imagine what we can do with $125,000, which is our budget goal for 2017. Reaching it will enable us to continue paying all of our artists, while gradually increasing staff compensation, and keeping our financial foundation stable as we grow.
We hope you will consider making a gift this year. Your support enables Theatre NOVA's continued commitment to pay-what-you-can prices, showcasing and developing new plays, and providing a space of creativity and enrichment for the entire community.
Please make a donation today.